Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

How Can You Be My Ex if You Can't Say You're My Boyfriend?

Cause when it ends, it still seems to hurt just as bad...

No, this is not another rant on my state of personal affairs.

I have a friend who is pissed. Piseed Pissed Pissed. The guy she was seeing/was with/was dating/was her kind of boyfriend took off for good without contacting her to say goodbye. This is the girl who when I questioned why she was with a guy so allergic to the term "boyfriend," as she could so do better than that, said "I don't want the white picket fence, house and kids thing." Well, I said "boyfriend" and she heard "marriage in suburbia." Hmmm....Looking back on it, I don't think that was *her* speaking to me, but the guy she was with talking through her. And I am guilty of doing that, saying oh we're just dating, being what I thought was just coy, until more than a month passes, and then being coy is just being stupid.

Boys? What is wrong with you? I really don't know where this aversion to labels came from. I am not at all an anally-retentive person who believes there is a place for everything and everything has a place (you need to see my room and all thoughts of me as anal retentive will be dispeled like that!). But I think if you are spending a lot of time with someone over a long period of time, leading them to believe you are being emotionally intimate with them, and certainly, if you are physically intimate with them, then it's only a sign of respect to call them your boyfriend or girlfriend. There should be none of this talk of obligation, feeling trapped, or what have you, because you should be doing things with this person because you want to, not because you feel you have to.