Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

It's Slowly Coming Together...

From Friday, we have had midterms, and so today was the first full day back. I learned from one of my co-teachers that today would be my last time teaching my third year students, as I don't have any third year classes on Thursday this week, and I guess Friday they're good to go on to the next stage of their academic career: high school.

It's kind of too bad, as I had planned a good game to do with them. The students pretend they are all in a sinking lifeboat, and in order to stay afloat, they have to elect two of their team to get thrown off the boat. It was really great to see them all get into it, pleading with everyone else to spare their life. The pop star on board was the one everyone elected to get rid of. Strange as music seems to be a really big part of these girls' lives. Also making an appearance on the boat was the President of the United States of America. I couln't help but laugh as I read the description of him, and I really enjoyed telling some of my students "OK, you're George Bush," and watching them cringe.

So, next week, I'll only have...20 classes to work with. Unfortunately, at work, my computer is set up to restrict the access to Blogger, so I probably won't be able to write anything here at that time.

I have a goodbye letter in the works which I will publish here in this blog and also most likely on this ESL website I frequent. I need the means to reflect on what three years in Korea has meant to me, and what I hope the next two in Hong Kong will bring. I got the last of my recommendation letters needed today. My coworker said some of the nicest things you could possibly say in a rec letter, calling me a passionate, perservering teacher. It's the little things like these that will make it hard to say goodbye to my students and my job. There were even some third year girls I will greatly miss and wonder what will become of them.

Every day as I pass my students in the hall, and they chirp "Hello, Miss Kate!" or "Good morning Kate Teacher!" and do this hopping dance, it makes me sad and happy at the same time. Sad because I will be leaving behind these wonderful girls. Also, it's sad because I swear it took me like 6 months to make sure the girls understood that calling me by only my first name was not a good idea.

But then I am also happy, because I can't help but have their bubbly personality rub off on me. It's really hard to stay mad at anyone or anything in that school.

And in totally unrelated news (and this is kind of funny, because maybe at other jobs it would be strangely appropriate) I have started reading the book American Psycho. Haven't gotten to any of the ehm, "controversial" parts yet. I've seen the Koreanized version of the movie a couple times on TV, but know they heavily edited it. So, I'll let you know what I thought of the book when I am done with it. Apparently, it's some kind of satire where the author draws parallels between the cutthroat life of corporate 1980s America and the main character who, while living the corporate life either literally or through his imagination, um, cuts throats. And does much worse.