Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Little Jenny is Turning 18

What on earth does it mean that I seem to be tearing up over Hallmark card I just sent my step-sister? I think it just means I am suffering from a chronic bout of a lack of sleep.

Anyways, It was essentially a "Whatever you wish for today, I hope you get it," type card. She'll be 18 later today. When my dad and her mom were married, I knew her as a toddler and then a little girl. That's all I can see her as, even though I did meet her briefly last year when I was home for my mother's funeral.

She was such a bright kid, and I remember when she went to the same elementary school as I did, her teachers said she reminded of them of me. My dad said the same thing. When my dad and step-mom split up, I lost contact of my step-sister. I was kind of worried as I wanted to be her mentor of sorts, and I wanted to make sure her book smarts weren't going to be diminished by anyone in her family. I also wanted to help her be able to believe in herself and try to get out of the small-minded small town she was living in, because she was capable of so much more.

Anyways, I just spoke with her a few months ago and she told me she had plans to go to college out of state later this year, if she had the money. This is really something, because higher education, that was something never really stressed when I was growing up. I mean thank God, I didn't have the parents who insisted I should be the valedictorian at Harvard, but I wish they recognized how I had totally different goals from theirs, and I didn't think of myself as being a better person than my own parents for going to college. I just realized I would have better opportunities with a degree.

I really hope she holds on to those dreams and she makes something of herself. She's told me she wants to take a car trip across America before she goes to school and that she also wants o visit Australia so she can see a kangaroo with her own eyes. What a cool kid she's become! She'll be the first woman in her family to graduate high school, never mind go to college. I'm really proud of her.