Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Saturday, December 11, 2004

More Thoughts on Moving and Bridget Jones

My friend I work with, the one who brought me here to my current job, is sad I am leaving. "But I didn't have to take care of you," she said to me sadly. (She had made herself take the self-created position of something almost like a dorm's Residence Assistant earlier in the year. Note to self: Never do that.)

I guess I was pretty low-maintenance this year. But then, I don't think I've really been one to bare my feelings out, every little insecurity I have to my friends. I'm usually the one now who says "Things will be fine, you'll be all right," to my friends, though I think I put one good friend of mine through the wringer in high school over stupid boy problems. (The boys being the ones who were stupid, not the problems. Of course!) ;)

She is also blaming my most recent ex-boyfriend for making me flee the scene. "If he hadn't messed things up between the two of you, I'm sure you could have been friends." Yeah, that's right! You tell him! Heh heh heh. I told her if it would make her feel better, she could write a complaint letter to him, stating that. It's always nice to know you have friends in your corner about a breakup, and even more so when the loyalties are revealed so far away from the actual event, in any case.

That's not really true. I'd stay here regardless of a breakup if this had been my first or second year here. But...it's just time to go. Even when things hit the skids with the boyfriend I had last year, I was planning on finding work IN the same city, but then decided at the time, if next year was going to be my last year, maybe I should try to live near Seoul. And I figured at the time, how many times, have I said that, "This will be my last year in Korea"? I guess it just happened that this is the year I actually meant it.

Anyways, it's nice to know I'm going to be missed.

I went to see Bridget Jones' Diary 2 today. Man, why did they make such a big deal of Renee Zellweger gaining so much weight? I always got the impression from the books that the only thing Bridget Jones suffered from was just a lack of confidence, something a few extra pounds and a wacked-out family might bring about. This might seem like a shallow comment, but I think this time around, they made her look a lot worse than she did in the first movie.

Anyways, it was a cute, fluffy movie, but the scene in the Thai jail was pretty bad.

Oh, and I just received word from my recruiter that everything should be OK if she receives the documents by next week sometime. Phew.