Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Friday, January 07, 2005

Am I There Yet?

My mind is officially in between Korea and Hong Kong, looking forward (literally) to Hong Kong.

I feel like I am going to be on that plane tomorrow. My next chapter of my life feels so close to happening now.

So I am washing all my clothes in preparation for some of them to be packed up (bye bye big bulky sweaters!) and have made lists for the CDs and books I want to give away or sell. (Let me know if you have any interest in seeing the list...I just may send what you want to you.)

My house is in (even more of) a shambles as I am packing. I am in the process of packing up my books and CDs I want to take. My cat just might have a home, and I just might have a seat on a February 12 flight to Hong Kong.

It's all set up.

And it's scary and exciting.

I have this big long spiel prepared for when I do actually leave, but I can't help reflecting on it now. I feel like Truman Burbank in a way. I have been in a bubble known as Korea for the past 3 years, and now I'm going to willingly give up the comfort (which may or may not be manifesting itself as boredom) that is Korea and try somewhere new and different, somewhere I might fall on my face. Some place where I am going to have to readjust. I liked what he said to his wife in that movie:

Wife: Why do you want to go to Atlantic City? You hate
gambling!
Truman: Because it's there. Isn't that
why people go places in the first place?

So I am really excited to be getting out of here, but damn it feels scary. I have told my friends to push me down the walkway to the plane to Hong Kong if they have to. I'm almost nervous that I will freeze up. When I first came to Korea, thank god for the recruiter's disorganization. I had no real time to be nervous.

I should tell myself life will be the same there as it was here. Maybe even a bit better. Yes, I will make friends. I'm not snarky (most of the time) and I don't smell. Yes, I will date. I have dated enough in the past while here.

I just hope there are plenty of things to do there, besides the bar scene, and that I am not stuck in the middle of nowhere. (I don't think that'll be a problem. Looking at how the weather was in Hong Kong, (it was like 68 degrees there today!) I saw that the country was listed as being 100% urban).*

I guess all I can do is just wait until I get there and check things out for myself.

It's going to be hard to wait though.

*My friend who lives there told me she lived in the Boonies. I'm not sure if she was just saying "I'm far from Central and TST," being near Shenzhen and all. It IS hard to visualize the "boonies" of Hong Kong, now that I think of it.