Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Monday, January 31, 2005

"You're Sure You're Never Coming Back?" "Yes and Now Give Me My Money!"

I went to the National Pension Office today. Armed with my passport, my flight ticket out of Korea, and my American bank information, I set out to claim the 2 years worth of pension money I had accumulated in my three years here.

In order to do this, I had to let them know I was very sure I would never be back in Korea again. Very sure. Very very sure. I had to produce an airline ticket that supported this claim. I had to check boxes on many forms that indicated my intents that I would never be back. I even had to write a short letter telling them why I had produced for them a round trip ticket if I was never coming back.

"Dear Pension Board," I wrote.

"I had to buy a round trip ticket from Korea to Hong Kong because it was cheaper to do so and Hong Kong Immigration requires that I produce a round-trip ticket for them in order to work. I can assure you I am never coming back to this country so long as I shall live. I am never ever ever ever coming back. Ever.

Now give me my money.

Sincerely
Kate"

Well, not really, but the amount of what seems to be an attempt to induce a sort of buyer's regret in order to get your pension was a bit silly. I'm surprised on the forms there weren't any questions like:
  • Are you sure you saved up enough money here?
  • Have you seen Jeju Island yet?
  • How about Seorak Mountain?
  • Aren't you going to miss kimchi?
  • Not even a little?
Anyways, in a month, I will be almost 4 million (won) richer. Which is good, cause I have a feeling I am really going to need some money soon!