Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Words To Live By

You know the people who seem to be so damn sure of what it is they are doing? I'm so not one of those people and I am really getting tired of it. While the people who come to mind have spent years at this job, and have been able to perfect their lessons over the years, I'm meaning more that I've come to realize that maybe I am becoming my own worst enemy when it comes to criticisms.

I really want to be one of those people who are not afraid to make mistakes, and be acceptable of criticisms and my failures when things do not go right. I want to be someone who will not worry about pissing someone off when I need help, or when I say "I'm sorry but I have enough to do right now."

When things seem to be flaking out, I remember what the guy I had lunch with earlier told me when I was telling him about the madhouse that is my job at times.

He said: "You've just got to remember that it's only a job, and not take it so seriously."

Brilliant.

Now, I know he wasn't advocating me encouraging them to run with scissors and to play with fire and to see what happens when you mix one household cleaner with another. There's a big difference between striving for 100 percent omniscient, extra-sensory competence and severe gross negligence, of course. But I know my life would be 1000 times easier if I could stop being so hard on myself and just make an honest effort with things, and while ideally I'd learn from my mistakes the first time I make them, the more important thing would be to let go of things completely when they fail.