Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Now That's What I'm Talking About!

(To Blog Explosion surfers: I'm going to talk about the new Star Wars movie here. I think a lot of what I'm saying is common knowledge for any Star Wars geek like myself, but maybe you'd like to close your eyes and hum the Imperial March for the next 30 seconds and then click on the magic number to send you on your merry way, credit in hand, instead. You've been warned.)





I just got back from seeing the third Star Wars episode, and while I don't want to spoil it for anyone who really wants to see it, but hates waiting in long lines, I do want to say that this movie completely restored my faith in George Lucas and his idea to make the prequels in the first place. My faith was essentially shattered when I saw the first one, The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar Binks. Meh. George Lucas had originally planned a 9 part series, and if he can continue to create stories of the same caliber as the third installment, I really hope he goes on to make them.

[non sequitur]And I just love Ewan McGregor. Love love love him. Love him. [/non sequitur]

Heh.

I just loved watching the psychological transformation of Anakin Skywalker and how the rebels were again up with their backs against the wall. The ending scenes showing the birth and whisking away of Luke and Leia and the transformation of Anakin Skywalker into the Darth Vader that we all came to know were my favorite parts of the movie. I guess I like movies with uncertain endings. This one, I guess for someone who is eight and hasn't seen the other older movies, this would be a movie with an uncertain ending. Since I'm much older than that and have seen the original three waaay too many times to count I know how it will all end. Happily. And with Ewoks.

But even when I was growing up, my favorite one of the three was The Empire Strikes Back, and it still is. I just like how the rebel forces are behind the 8 ball in that movie -- behind the Death Star, I guess -- and Han Solo is frozen and Luke is thisclose to having an existential breakdown over knowing who his father is, and there was just so much suspense and drama. It's just a classic movie.