Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Monday, May 09, 2005

One of My Other Questions Has Been Answered, Maybe

I had earlier asked for book recommendations (and sorry to say, I was in a bookstore earlier this evening, minus the mini-list some of you have compiled for me) and was going to ask about music recommendations later, as I was just interested in finding something new. I was surfing down the line of my frequently read blogs and saw on Verbatim, the author had posted about this new music download program called "Indy" (which is basically a database of music that the artists have already released to the web -- so it's all legal ) where you can rate the songs you hear, and as you rate the songs, the program becomes smarter to the stuff you really like.

It's kind of funny, the term indy. When I was in high school, Indy to me, meant Sebadoh, Pavement, and anything really weird-ass or obscure, as in drunk friends getting together with lyrics written 10 minutes ago and someone's malfunctioning tape recorder. But what I've been hearing so far from this program is this hip-hop group (didn't quite like it) a woman who had a Norah Jones style about her, a (maybe) Portuguese ska band, and Thelonious Monk. Only one other band in the 6 I have heard so far had that "indy" "Replacements from England" type feel to them.

So hopefully in a few days time, I'll be able to tell you all about some bands I have discovered that I really like.