Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Friday, July 08, 2005

My Thoughts About London

The terrorist attack against London frightens me to the extent as to I wonder how safe Hong Kong is, an area full of Western interests and expats. I've already lived through September 11, 2001 when I lived in D.C. and I hope I never have to go through anything like that again. I hope I don't sound too selfish, but I've just realized (again) that this sort of thing could happen anywhere, and while I'm not going to become paranoid over my personal safety (personal gas masks anyone?), today I became aware again of my own mortality, like many many others, I'm sure.

I have friends from England here and I was concerned about their families last night. My friend said she couldn't understand the terrorist's logic, what is so important to them want to attempt to kill what could easily have been thousands of people? This same friend could understand why people would be angry with my friend's Indian boyfriend wearing a pro-USA T-shirt in an airport shortly after September 11.

I just think it's a really crazy world we live in, where there are people who can understand some kinds of racism, or take a blase attitude toward it existing, and there are others who think that it's OK to kill others who disagree with your world view. People say the roots of terrorism exist in poverty and a getting a feeling of self-importance that doesn't occur anywhere else in a terrorist's life. I wonder if there really is any way to combat the roots of terrorism, or if the worlds between the Christian dominated societies and the Muslim dominated societies are really that far apart. I'm probably not doing any of my thoughts justice. I know nothing about international relations and world politics. I remember as a child being afraid of the Russians and then laughing with relief when I saw a TV special showing Russian children saying they were afraid of us. But this now is much different I think. There's no global chess match here, no idle talking about "the things that will happen if..." People keep getting kidnapped and then beheaded in the Middle East, and then we still have these well-planned sneak attacks in major Western cities. When will it all end?