Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

I've just gotten sucked into the hoopla that is the 10 Year Reunion of my high school. I put up a profile of myself. I've just submitted some "Now" photos. And I got an email from a childhood friend who says she is "bumming" cause I may not go out there after all.

Well, it's too far! It'd be like a day's flight out. She only has to cross the country, herself! And what I have to ask myself in between now and November is "Is this going to be worth it?" I wasn't one of those kids who was pushed into lockers on a daily basis in high school (No, that was junior high school!) but I also wasn't one of the smartest or funniest or most athletic or whatever either. I was just there. I gave a good impersonation of being perky and of being super-smart, but certainly, I did nothing that was super stand-out at all.

If I fly out all the way over there, will people remember me? Will they care that I came all that way out from Hong Kong to see what happened with my classmates? Cause I really only keep up with one now, don't think I made any enemies while there, and a lot of going to this reunion like 5,000 or 6,000 (maybe more) miles away is out of morbid curiosity.

It's interesting reading all the bios of my classmates. Some are happily married, having married someone they dated in high school, some are selling pharmaceuticals. Some are not even 30 yet and already divorced. Well, that happens. My profile is like a mile long and I think it screams I am insecure about not having met that special someone. It reads like you should be following along on a map: "I've been here and here, done this and that there, and dammit I am a cool person cause I live in Hong Kong now!" That's what it sounds like to me, anyways.

It could be fun. It could be a lot like Grosse Pointe Blank. And it could also be strangely awkward. I'll have to think about it.