Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Thursday, September 29, 2005

I'm Entitled to a Work Vent!

I generally am enjoying my classes and I think most of the kids I teach are the coolest ones I have known in a long time. Yet there is this one boy I teach who drives me bananas and to make things worse, apparently his parents don't care what he does, as long as he is happy.

This boy supposedly is the son of a very important Hong Kong person and I had been told earlier in the year that I am strongly encouraged to not single him out for disciplining, no matter what kind of little shit he is being, as his mom will complain to the school and threaten to withdraw him or ask for my removal otherwise. Yesterday he started bawling cause I took his chair. I didn't even know I took his chair. He didn't tell the Chinese teacher I took his chair until he started wailing. I swear to God I thought he was going to get sick, he was crying so much. And today I discovered two very sad things. If a student gets any words wrong on their spelling test, they must write out each word three times and then hand the book back in to the teacher. Yet this boy, and most likely backed by his mother, will only write out each word once. I don't care what kind of little prince his mom says he is when she tucks him into bed each night. He still has to do the work everyone else has to do.

But the saddest thing of all is that he can not spell his own name in English. He regularly spells it with only the first three letters. Out of 4. But still.

Thank God he is the only one like that. The other kids, I fear are going to turn me into a clucky beast more sooner than later.