Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Monday, October 10, 2005

Check This Out

I've been spending a lot of quality time with the John Mellencamp CD I bought earlier. My Sims are even starting to feel neglected! (Actually, that's not possible, but imagine if it were. Freaky!)

The CD came with a DVD of 5 videos: Crumblin' Down, R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A., Rain on the Scarecrow, a live version of Check It Out, and Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First). I am really happy to see to see these videos, and I especially like the Check It Out video. (With it being a live show, you can see how his concerts might have gone. And I actually think he looks rather hot in this video as well, which I'm kind of embarrassed to say, cause the guy's never wanted to be no pop singer, you know, and he's hardly ever been a poster boy. But he still looks good.

I wish there had been more videos though! Pink Houses, a great song with cheerleaders toward the end doing their thing and wearing "JC" sweaters. That cracks me up! And I like how the lyrics have a bit more to them than the average politician looking for a catchy theme song would know about. The song got the same fate as Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A.": Sure he sings "Ain't that America, it's something to see" and that it's the "home of the free," but anyone who just listens to the whole thing can see that it's about people living in radically different economic divisions within the same country that is supposed to take care of all the people that live there. That's just my interpretation of it anyways.

Hurts So Good: John Cougar in a diner with a bunch of biker boys hanging out. The Authority Song: John (Cougar) Mellencamp in a boxing ring. And I think this one may take a while to explain so go fix yourself a snack and then come back, OK?

I think he's only singing but there may be a few shots of him getting the snot beaten out of him. And in the video there is a boy who idolizes him but is told by all the adults around him "Hell, you KNOW you can do better than that!" My two favorite parts: The part after the instrumental break, where John's coming in with "I said Oh no! (no no!)" and the boy is shown in all these adult uniforms, a police officer's uniform, a business suit, etc. and he has this look on his face like he is not impressed. Then at the end of the video, the boy's walking away from the ring and all the adults looked pleased with him and themselves, until the boy shoves up his sleeves with this defiant grin on his face (Who knew making your short sleeved shirt sleeveless was an act of rebellion?) and the adult group have themselves some calves.

Also that song has one of the best lines in rock I have ever heard sung:

I called my preacher and said 'Give me strength for Round 5.'
He said 'You don't need no strength, you need to grow up, son!'
I said 'Growing up leads to growing old, then dying.
And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun!'

Maybe they'll eventually come out with a video collection of all his songs, and when they do, I know I will be first in line!