Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hello Stranger!

I just received a letter from my brother. I have not heard from him in a few months; the time before that must have been during my mother's funeral. I might have wrote of our relationship before, how rocky our relationship growing up had been, how we just kind of drifted apart, how I decided that maybe our relationship was better the further away we were from each other.

In his letter to me, he sent a picture of his son, Seven, who must now be about seven now. And I had a teary moment, realizing that while I am teaching kids about my nephew's age and raving about how cool *they* all are, I really do not know my nephew and I am afraid he will grow up not really knowing who I am. The last time I was home, about two years ago, he didn't know who I was. He kept shouting "Hey Lady!" to get my attention.

I sometimes wonder how our family relationships would be if we weren't so far away from each other. I do wish sometimes that the friends and family I have back home could somehow afford to visit me just once, but at least most of them don't make it out to be that I have a million dollars at my own disposal and can see them no problem. I guess it all sort itself out when it needs to be sorted.