Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Sunday, November 20, 2005

New Music Sunday

I went on a major shop-a-thon today, and against my better judgment and ignoring the fact that really, I could be better spending money at something like...I don't know, a grocery store or something, I bought three CDs. These CDs are all ones I have owned before in cassette form, many moons ago.

  • Vitalogy -- Pearl Jam
  • Fables of the Reconstruction -- R.E.M.
  • Doolittle -- Pixies

I also found a create your own radio station program called Pandora. This site asks you to name an artist or song you really like (I chose Pearl Jam) and then first it plays the "typical" song of that band, which was "Porch" off Ten. Then interestingly enough, it will start to play songs that are like the original band and when you ask "Why are you playing this," it gives a very detailed reponse like:

"Based on what you've told us so far, we are playing this song because it features grunge recording qualities, hard rock roots, mild rhythmic syncopation, a vocal-centric aesthetic and major key tonality, and a dirty electric guitar solo."

Wow. So that's why I like them. I just thought they were great to pogo to.