Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Sunday, December 04, 2005

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

OK, enough snarking. I don't want to bog my blog (heh) down with worrying about crap. So, I am going to instead focus on how yesterday, during the day, our school had its picnic and I had a really great time hanging out with my students and their parents. With the parents there, it was a great opportunity to just play with the kids and be silly with them and enjoy the science exhibits (nerd!) that this conservation park had.

I think I have mentioned her before, but I have this one really special girl in my class, who has only just turned 5, but she is just so smart, and really happy and bright. She is a lovely girl and it made me really happy yesterday that she said "Miss Kate, I want to follow you," she wanted to spend the day with me at the park. I just mean that in a way like there are always going to be some children who will be afraid of me cause I don't speak Cantonese and the words coming out of my mouth sound really odd, or I don't look like their mommy or daddy. I just can't really describe it, but she is an absolute joy to have in my class, and her entire family is just cool too.

And then today I was online with my friend Sabrina, and I said Hello, and she told me she was just thinking of me and how much fun we always have together whenever we meet up. I really appreciated that -- as most of my friends are in these strange things called relationships now, it's really good to have that single friend who can keep you afloat when you have found you've somehow wandered into the shallow end of the dating pool.

Oh, and one more thing I just found: The Tanya Donnelly album, Love Songs For Underdogs, circa 1997, is a really strong album, and 8 songs into it, everything has just been really solid. Maybe you know her better from Belly or the Throwing Muses or her brief stint in The Breeders, but this album is just really good poppy stuff. It's my intention to build my CD collection around the cassettes I owned in high school and college (nerd! I'm only a short hop from anal retentively cataloging my music like my dad did...cassettes comprised of diferent bands covering the same songs, for example.) and so far I plan on must-having Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend, Belly's Star album, Sonic Youth's Dirty and Goo, Nirvana's In Utero, and the early stuff from R.E.M. Murmur, Reckoning, that era.