Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Time Flies...

I'm actually enjoying myself here, and what with the losing track of time, I've just surprised myself as I remembed that I basically only have the tail end of today, tomorrow and the next day before I have to fly back to Hong Kong and start working again. I guess that'll be good as shortly thereafter, I will be receiving what's becoming a sorely needed paycheck. (Damn DVDs!)

Today I decided as more of a "What else is there to do around here?" sort of thing to sign up for a tour of the island and see what's what. It went all right. There were just the 4 of us: Two Israeli men and one American girl who is on holiday from her job in Korea (It's a small world after all! It's a small small world!) and we first went to a temple where they had a fortune telling machine (how divine, I know!) where you drop in a 10 baht coin and wait for the light to settle on a number. Then you go and read the corresponding fortune. Well, my number happened to be 14, a bad deal in Chinese culture, and this was a Chinese style Buddhist temple. So the fortune warned me of unfortunate coincidences befalling me and having a troublesome partner and basically being in the midst of bad luck. Basically anything that could go wrong was a part of this fortune. I made myself feel better telling myself it was only a random generation of a number from a machine.

We also went to a viewpoint to look at the ocean, and a waterfall (which was nice) and something called Grandmother and Grandfather Rock and another temple (where I forgot to see if I could trade up my fortune). Then we were told we would have to pay like 250 baht extra for a monkey show, and none of us wanted to do it. Also extra (but not revealed to us before) was a tiger show. None of us decided to stay for that. So we went to Nathon and ate a nice lunch. The Israelis were tired and bowed out of the tour early and so the other American girl and I went on our own to the grand finale of the tour: a stop at Tesco.

I kid you not.

I just wound up buying some much needed mouthwash and some dried pumpkin seeds. I'm lucky that by living in Hong Kong I really am not wanting (unfortunately) for any Western-style food.

Anyways at the end of the tour, the girl and I exchanged emails. Maybe we'll meet up later. Who knows. Could be all right. I guess later tonight I'll grab dinner somewhere and then see if there are any good movies playing around. I know, I am a real wild one for sure!

But I am having fun and I think one person's bungee jumping extravaganza vacation is another's "let me catch up on my correspondence" vacation. As long as you enjoy yourself and relax, ya know?