Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Monday, March 20, 2006

Random Thoughts

Saturday, I got a permanent crown placed on my tooth. The dentist told me the hard part was over and done with, so if I didn't feel I needed Novocaine, I didn't have to have it. Being a total baby when it comes to needles, I said OK to the offer.

But something happened along the way, where I just felt not painful, but increasingly uncomfortable, so I somehow was able to stop the surgery and leave. Then I found that after the dull pain in my mouth went away, that I was unable to bite down on anything -- my dentist hadn't sanded the crown down far enough so my mouth had become uneven.

So this was a bit of a problem. I bought a lot of pudding and yogurt on Saturday as I needed to eat something, but the final straw came when I was at KFC. I was in there for mashed potatoes, but the chicken burger looked really good to me. Real food! But then I discovered the only way to eat it was almost like a bird, head tilted to the side, so I could tear at it with the teeth that closed down together properly (again, we're only talking about maybe mere millimeters, but that really makes a big difference in one's bite!).

Today I scheduled an appointment with the dentist and she sanded it down far enough so I can eat well again. (She also went at the top teeth with the sander for symmetry, but I'm not going to think about that too much.) And when she was done, she said "You can eat a sandwich again!" And I thought, "What a great idea!" So after searching (and making 2 or 3 phone calls) I found Oliver's Super Sandwiches and had the best turkey and cheddar sandwich (with lettuce and tomatoes and dijon mustard on whole grain bread) I have had in a long time.

Also, on the way home, my iPod played the song Jeremy by Pearl Jam, and I have to say I think this is one of the best songs ever written. Yes, yes, I think it rivals or even surpasses Yesterday and Stairway to Heaven and all those other epic rockers. I know Eddie Vedder had a fascination for serial killers at the time he wrote the album, and even though Jeremy is not about a serial killer, it is about a very dark subject, a school shooting. I'm impressed with Eddie Vedder's sympathy for the subject, telling the story as though he were one of the survivors of the tragedy, looking back on Jeremy and that fateful afternoon.

I am really amazed at how well he seemed to have his finger on the pulse of American boys (or let's not get too specific --disaffected adolescents) at this time -- though Jeremy was about a boy who exacted revenge on his tormentors by killing himself in front of them (based on a true story taking place in Texas which Vedder found in a newspaper), not too many years later, it seemed that there was a slew of school shootings all around the nation, culminating in the Columbine massacre. And every one of them seemed like a carbon copy of Jeremy -- tormented, tortured and without the support of family, friends, school or the church to help them out, and suffering from delusions of grandeur that one day they would have their revenge on all those that mocked them. "Daddy didn't give attention to the fact that Mommy didn't care." People would actually blame the song for these shootings, but if they listened closely, it's more of a detached account, there's no real glorification of what Jeremy did.

And I love the video. I love how Mark Pellington first gives the details of the town's suburban ignorant bliss. It's a nice day, the day Jeremy goes to school in an affluent suburb. The weather is 63 degrees and cloudy. And then further on in the video the words "The unclean spirit entered." Now, I'm not a very religious person, and I know that lots of religions condemn suicide, but I stil think that is the perfect figure of speech for what happens when you decide to kill yourself. Not plan it, do it. Something goes wrong in your brain, you're no longer yourself, I think. So it's just as well to say, biblical phrasing or not, that the unclean spirit entered Jeremy when he decided to have the last word with his classmates.

Anyways, I love this video, I love this song. I'm surprised this one isn't on my iPod's Top 25 list, because I could listen to it over and over.