Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Friday, June 02, 2006

My New Favorite Band

My computer just ate my love note to my new favorite band, New Order.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So I’ll try to make this quick!

I had a CD of theirs, called Substance for some time now, since the days I worked at Tower Records when I was in college. I hadn’t really played much of it though until I put it onto my iPod.

Every time I hear one of their songs, I am blown away by the fact that they are a direct descendant of the band Joy Division. I had a boyfriend who loved this band, Joy Division. I myself have only heard two of their songs, but have to say that Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of the most beautiful songs you could ever hope to hear and Atmosphere is this spare, stark, fragile song. Another thing of beauty.

And yet still, the band seemed so depressive, so bleak. It didn’t surprise me at all to learn that Ian Curtis took his own life, and that is how New Order was formed. (I know that might sound a bit mean, as Ian Curtis suffered from painful bouts of epilepsy and there are also reports that he subscribed to the “Better to Burn Out Quickly Than Fade Away” School of Rock, but would it really surprise anyone if they heard Zach de la Rocha was an angry kind of guy in person, or that Robert Smith of The Cure was depressed as well? Not really, I bet.)

The one thing that struck me about New Order were how upbeat their music sounded. (I wasn’t paying attention to the lyrics at the time.) “The Perfect Kiss,” “Bizarre Love Triangle” (which as an aside, I always imagined was about a guy who loves a girl who is in love with herself!), and which is now my most favorite song, the one I will (at this moment, anyways) constantly choose to play over and over, “Regret.”

Nick Hornby has said that people choose their favorite songs because it is one that the brain finds interesting and tries to figure out. With “Regret,” I know there is this one distinct point in the song where it hooks me in, right after the guitar (and that too, is a pretty strong hook) and the drums is where the synthesizer comes in, and I just find it so uplifting. Humor me and download (or buy the song, whatever!) and tell me you’re not almost immediately reeled in. Find “Love Will Tear Us Apart” too, while you’re at it.

If you are interested in reading the lyrics to my new favorite song (and why not?) then click here to find them. I will indulge myself and post the two bits of lyrics I absolutely love:

I would like a place I could call my own
Have a conversation on the telephone
Wake up every day that would be a start
I would not complain of my wounded heart

I was upset you see
Almost all the time
You used to be a stranger
Now you are mine

Their new song “Waiting For The Siren’s Call” (new to me, I’ve only just started seeing the video on Hong Kong TV!) also sounds pretty good. How's the new album? Have you ever seen them in concert? Are their side bands (Revenge, Monaco, Electronic) any good? What other songs or albums by New Order should I look into?