Pulled In Many Directions

Not-so-daily rambings about my life and my thoughts

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Mini Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2

I saw the preview for this ages ago during Chinese New Year when I went to see The Lion, The Witch and the Wadrobe. Both my friend (who is a real Johnny Depp nut) and I were excited to see this movie.

Flash forward about 6 months, where news of this movie destroying Superman's Return in America is making everyone sit up and take notice.

I saw this movie, and I really wanted to like it. I like Johnny Depp. I loved the first movie. But in the middle of this 2 and a half hour long movie, I started to nod off. I started calculating my projected monthly earning for my Fly Me Home Fund. I started to think about dinner.

I just could not get into this movie at all. There were some good scenes, where we find Captain Jack Sparrow has been adopted by a tribe of indigenous island people. The squid at the end is amazing. And Johnny Depp does a great job when he is on screen. He has such a lively and expressive face and the way he uses his body, like when he is trying to scamper off unnoticed whenever he gets in trouble, is an absolute pleasure to watch. He's having fun in this role and wants us to have fun watching him.

So where's the problem? The story just drags. Everything just feels flat in this movie. And I know they are chasing after Davey Jones' treasure chest but with something that sounds that adventurous, shouldn't there be a lot more adventure? My friend felt the opposite was the problem. She said there was too much action and not enough talking, where she wanted to see Johnny Depp steal the show.

I'm just really boggled as to how this movie could be doing THAT well back home. I'd suggest waiting to rent it, myself.